Oct 9, 2015

A Blast from the past...

It was an intense summer that day, the temperature recorded 48°C. It was a 30 over match and I was batting at No.3 losing our opener. It was good opportunity for me to come at No.3 when the stakes were down early on. I had a chance to prove myself today, I had a feeling that today I am going to score big. Initial 5 overs were bit slow on the scoring rate, and I was just rotating the strike, I was waiting for the sun to burn down the bowlers stamina before I could counter attack.
But something was wrong, I was already burning since morning due to high fever and a blocked nose. But my determination and will power were stronger than the fever that was preventing me from being fit. I scored a handsome leg glance first up, that opened the boundaries for us. Followed by a square drive and cover drive. Next over was really easy for me, after having hit 3 fours in a the previous over, my confidence was sky high, I scored a straight drive boundary which was a pleasure to many eyes, including my father who always enjoys watching me bat.
Then came on the spinners, to give respite to their fast bowlers. I was going strong, confident and having the highest stamina among all the players out there. It was in me that every time the temperature soars in Chennai, I get a good field day. I outshine other players in hot humid weather conditions easily. It was a gift to me I thought and I realized it that day. With such thought in mind, came a dolly from spinners hand and I hit the ball straight down the bowlers head and it was a sixer, just managed to cross the ropes.
They were all getting tired by the end of 15 overs and I had just scored above 40+ that time. Few wickets fell the other end and my stronger partner started scoring some big shots giving me some rest and I was just rotating the strike happily for him. It was a good relaxing time for me, but I had to still do all the running. I could sense the hot air going in and out of nostrils by this time! By the end of the innings I emerged not out around 60+ runs and my partner scored a quick fire 40 odd runs. We scored a good 180 runs on the board by the end of 30 overs.
We came to bowl, and their players were already dehydrated and exhausted under the sun, but our players were looking fresh, well thanks to me of course ;-). We dismissed them within 100 runs and I was rightly adjudged the player of the match. I remember the words of the opposite captain that day, “You played really well even in this hot and humid condition. Well done young boy, I wish to see you play for India one day.”

This was the day that I cherished the most and the words of the opposite team’s captain did motivate me to do better in coming matches. It was also the day when I realized that hot humid climate does no harm to my body and I was adaptive to such high temperatures. It was a good realization for me that day, to know my ability, my body condition and my stamina/endurance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or feed backs please